Thursday 13 March 2014

The Body Shop Body Mist-Moringa

HI!
Today I am going to review my first body mist and my first ever product from the Body Shop.While in many ways,Kolkata is a great city and I really love my city a lot,it sucks when it comes to availability of major cosmetic and beauty brands.There is Lakme,Maybelline,Lotus,Himalayas that are most available but even then they don't keep each and every product launched by these brands(I face this problem specially with Himalaya Herbals).High end brands like MAC,Inglot,Lush are only available at the Forum Mall which is located so far away from my home.Kryolan is not even there or at least I haven't yet been able to locate it anywhere and I happen to have visited almost all the big cosmetic stores of central and north Kolkata.So,when The Body Shop store opened at the mall within 5 minutes walking distance from my home I was literally jumping with joy.I was always fascinated by the reviews and range of their products.
I was real confused about what to try first.
I was looking for a strawberry scented body wash or perfume or whatever and TBS had quite a few products meeting my demand.I settled for the body mist reading after reading the review that the Body Polish scent don't linger long enough.I tried their testers but the strawberry scent was way too strong,almost gagging me.But it was yummy and I had a hard time deciding and choosing only one from the 7-8 scents.So I made a mental note,went back home without anything and sent back my parents with a list so they can try only those tester and choose one.I had short-listed shea butter,strawberry,vanilla and moringa.My parents ended up choosing Moringa.I was bit upset that they chose this one as I was thinking about shea butter but now I just don't have any regrets at all.
I prefer scents that are not overpowering and subtly balanced-I don't like to reek of my perfume and make other's nose burn.When I had tried the tester of moringa,somehow it had felt ok,but nothing heavenly.But at home,when I tried it on again,I was just swept of my feet.Read on to know why.
Now moringa is nothing but the flowers of drumstick tree,called "sojne danta" in Bengali and the drumsticks are widely eaten all over India.I have seen this flowers hundreds of time in the tree,and after getting this perfume and knowing that moringa is actually drumstick flowers I even tried smelling the live flowers.They don't smell anywhere near this body mist-in fact they have no distinctly strong smell at all-just a hint of earthy smell if you closely smell them.Before this body mist,I was only interested in the drumsticks and not the flowers,they are delicious!I never imagined such ordinary flowers could be used for such a heavenly smelling scent.
Ingredients:
Alcohol Denat(69.9%),Aqua/water/eau,Parfum/Fragrance,Linalool,Benzyl Salicylate,Propylene Glycol,Geraniol,Glycerin,Moringa Olifera Leaf Extract,Sorbitol,Eugenol,Denatonium Benzoate.
Direction of use:
All over Body Spray.Flammable.Do not Apply to face.For adult use only.
As you can see the ingredient list is full of organic compound and what puzzled me is that it says clearly that it contains the leaf extract and not flower.The bottle however show the picture of the flower alone.The packaging is very simple glass bottle with a silver cap,containing 100ml of the body mist and costs Rs.745.
The smell is not too floral or heavy.It is a light fragrance that is similar to Jasmine.I find it difficult to describe,it is unique.If you spray too much it stings the nose a bit for a while but once the alcohol evaportaes the floral smell left behind is sure to turn heads.However the lasting power is not at all up to the mark.It vanishes within 2hours post-application.I can only smell it when I hold my wrist to my nose that too very very faintly.It seems to last longer when I spray it on my clothes and at the nape of my neck below my hair,specially after bath.You won't get that puzzled "what is that smell?"-look from passersby through out the day even then until you keep topping it up through the day,which is again impossible if you are travelling sinc it is made of glass.After experimenting in several ways I managed to make it last around 4hours on me.I just sprayed it liberally on my wet body after towel drying at pulse points,sprayed it on my clothes and within my wet hair before blow drying.The mist feels great on the skin specially during summers as it feels cool.Overall,it is a awesome perfume and I love this one only for the scent if not anything else.
Pros:
  • no animal testing
  • heavenly smell
  • 100ml will last forever for me-since I use this only for special occasions,the rest of the time-my Yardley london English Rose deo is the savior.
Cons:
  • does not last long enough
  • not travel friendly at all-glass bottle
  • not widely available-I suppose TBS Diamond plaza is the only TBS in Kolkata
  • overpriced compared to the performance
Will I buy it again?
Still in dilemma because I love the perfume so much and equally hate the bad staying power.
Will I recommend?
Yes,if you like floral scents that is not overpowering or feels artificial and if you are ready to cope up with the bad lasting power,and of course if you are not on a budget then go for it.Otherwise be a little more patient and keep hunting for your signature perfume.I am sure there are many lesser known brands providing far more long lasting and equally good-smelling perfumes at the same price.And do let me know if you get one,I want to know my options once this gets over which is not going to happen in a long time though. Till then take care and have a great day ahead.

1 comment: